Garage Sale!!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Changes to the blog... and a recipe!!

Hi Scrappers!

I am still planning to keep this blog going, and I will share layouts that I do, and I am sure I will share any freebies that I happen to make. But I am also going to start sharing some recipes. I was just recently released from the hospital, for having a heart attack. Surprising as I am only 35 years old. However, I have been a diabetic for 22 years, and unfortunately heart disease is a complication of diabetes.

The good thing about this heart attack is, that it was a VERY small one. So small in fact they had trouble seeing the damage when they did the heart cath. Luckily for me, this could be the wake up call I needed to start living a more healthy life and eating more healthy foods. So I am now on a low carb, low fat, low sodium diet. I didn't realize how many food are LOADED with sodium! So my husband and I have set out on a journey to make healthy foods that are still tasty and delicious.

My first recipe is a vegetarian chili.

1 medium onion chopped
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 medium carrots finely chopped
2 medium tomatoes chopped
2 (15 oz) cans of no salt added black beans drained
1 (4 oz) can of reduced sodium tomato paste
2 cans of water (use the empty tomato paste can)
1 pinch (or to taste) of cayanne pepper (or chili powder)
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tbsp flat leaf parsley chopped

saute onions and garlic in oil on medium high heat until traslucent
add carrots, tomatoes, black beans, tomato paste, water and spices. Place a lid on the pot, and cook for approx 20-25 minutes until the carrots are tender.

Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition per serving:
Cal: 141
Fat: 2.9 grams
Carbs: 23 grams
Protein: 7.2 grams
Sodium: 7 mg

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Lori! I'm glad you are doing better. I'm with you the design side is fun but the business side sucks.

    35 years old? Heck lady you beat me! I had my first stent deployed in my heart at 43 and bypass at 44!

    I really am glad you're doing better. Keep up the good work lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I'm so happy your okay! My mom just had a heart attack last week, and it was a huge wake up call for me. I have MANY of her bad habbits, and I too am starting a low sodium low cholesterol diet, as well as quitting smoking. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I will definitely be giving it a try! You take care of yourself, and if you need anything you just ask! <3 ya much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Heidi! It has been a HUGE wake up call to me too.. I have cut out all but 8 oz of caffiene a day, my average daily sodium intake is about 1700 mg (down from probably 3-4 times that before) I do feel a lot better though! I just have to get approval from my cardiologist in a few weeks to start exercising! So far I am down 12 lbs, and I hope to be down another 20 by the end of the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I only just found your blog today via a freebie you posted elsewhere :o) thank you!
    This is a very pretty blog.

    I hope you are feeling better with your new way of eating and living... I'll be interested in seeing any other recipes you decide to post.

    Best wishes,
    Dox

    ReplyDelete